RTLB training and support for study
Teachers appointed to permanent full-time or job share RTLB positions are required to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching endorsed in Learning and Behaviour, unless they have:
1. been given an exemption by the Secretary; or
2. already completed the programme.
Exemptions remain valid for RTLB who remain employed by the cluster they were in at the time of the transformation.
Should these RTLB win a new position in another RTLB cluster, they will be required to complete the mandated training programme.
Teachers required to complete the training programme are eligible for the unit from the date they commence the role.
Any teacher who withdraws from the training programme or does not complete the programme within 48 months of appointment to the role will cease to be eligible for the unit.
Where an RTLB may not complete the training programme within 48 months of their appointment, lead school principals can seek advice about next steps from their local NZSTA advisor.
Support for study
Appointees enrolled in the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching endorsed in Learning and Behaviour are eligible for the Ministry's RTLB study award. If in any year the number of applicants exceeds the number of available awards, a prioritisation process will be used.
Priority will be given in the following order:
- appointees who have one year to complete their training before losing their management unit
- appointees who have two years to complete their training before losing their management unit
- appointees who have three years to complete their training before losing their management unit
- the second RTLB appointee in a job-share position (if the other job-share partner has received the study award).
Each cluster lead school is expected to support RTLB in their training by granting them study leave and reducing their workload as appropriate during the training period.
The amount of study leave provided is at the employer’s discretion. A suggested range for study release for the year is one day per week during the university semester in addition to the block course days.
Detailed information on the Learning Support Study Awards and Scholarships
When an RTLB is in training, the cluster sets aside funds to purchase textbooks. These textbooks become a cluster resource.
Content last updated: March 2018