Intensive Wraparound Service & Residential Special Schools
Intensive Wraparound Service
The Intensive Wraparound Service (IWS) is for children and young people in Years 3-10 who have behaviour, social and/or learning needs that are highly complex and challenging (and may have associated intellectual difficulty) and require support at school, at home and in the community.
What IWS provides
The IWS provides a coordinated and collaborative support plan that are centred around the student and their whanau. The team works together to meet the needs of the students so that they can live in their community and attend their local school. The plan may also include a period of support from a residential special school.
The intensive support is provided through a student's local school and community IWS provides:
- intensive and specialist services for children and young people to support them live in their community and attend their local school
- support and specialist services for families/whānau to build their capability to support their child
- additional support and specialist services to the local school/services to build capability and meet the needs of the child or young person
- flexible approaches for these children and young people, their family and whānau and schools that are personalised to the child or young person’s specific needs
- enrolment at a residential special school is available where there is agreement between the parent and the Ministry of Education that attendance at a residential special school will support the achievement of a child or young person’s plan
- effective transitions of children and young people between services or schools e.g. local school to residential special school and back.
Referral to IWS
Children and young people can be referred to IWS by:
- Cluster Managers and RTLBs
- Ministry of Education
- Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) fund-holding schools (including day special schools).
IWS applications are made following the discussion with parents, children and young people when local services and support have been fully utilised and are not able to meet the child or young person's needs. The referrals are made to the following Ministry of Education Learning Support Managers or IWS Service Manager.
Access an application form to refer a student to the Intensive Wraparound Service (Ministry of Education)
IWS and Residential Special Schools
IWS includes the option of enrolment at a residential special school. Residential Special Schools (RSS) provide specialist services in a 24/7 residential setting to support the achievement of the goals of a child or young person’s plan.
The IWS Facilitator and the child or young person's parent can decide that enrolment at a residential special school is needed at any stage in the first eighteen months of the child or young person's IWS plan.
Residential Special Schools
The enrolment period in a residential school can be between 1 to 6 school terms.
- Halswell Residential College provides specialist services for boys with an intellectual difficulty and highly complex and challenging behaviour and social and learning needs.
- Salisbury School provides specialist services for girls with an intellectual difficulty and highly complex and challenging behaviour and social and learning needs.
- Westbridge Residential School provides specialist services for boys and girls with highly complex and challenging behaviour, and social and education needs.
For further information visit IWS.